Minecraft for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will include bigger worlds to explore than its PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 counterparts, but will not feature the same infinite worlds as the original Windows PC version, according to developer 4J Studios.
In a tweet, 4J — the studio behind Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition and its subsequent console ports — noted that the limited amount of save file space on consoles means worlds will have size restrictions. Despite not being as far-reaching as the PC version, players on PS4 and Xbox One will still be able to explore realms that are larger than on previous-generation consoles.
.@Amrychannel .Fine! Working with Sony/Microsoft on world size – not "infinite" due to save size limits, but a lot bigger than PS3/Xbox 360.— 4J Studios (@4JStudios) May 7, 2014
4J also noted within the same Twitter conversation that the studio has been using the DualShock 4 controller's central touchpad to navigate the game's user interface.
Minecraft for Xbox One was announced at E3 last year, while the PS3 and PS4 versions were announced during Gamescom later that summer. The PS4 version, along with a PlayStation Vita version, is set to launch in Q2 or Q3 of this year. Currently the title is available on PC as well as Linux, Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360. A mobile edition, Minecraft — Pocket Edition, is available for iOS and Android.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?