Capcom has a plan, and it involves making more games in the style of the upcoming PlayStation 4-exclusive role-playing game Deep Down.
As part of its Digital Contents plan, Capcom lists one of its "strategic objectives" as developing "titles exclusively for online games, such as Deep Down for the PS4."
The company behind franchises like Dead Rising, Mega Man and Resident Evil revealed its goals in a document (PDF link) that encompasses predictions and strategies for the next five years.
Capcom categorizes video games into three general categories: home, PC online and mobile. Each category is "growing on a global scale," and Capcom expects that growth to continue through 2018, when it will be an $85 billion industry.
To improve its Consumer business, Capcom will "reinforce" its downloadable content strategy and hopes to "upgrade quality" and learn more by developing more games internally. It plans to strengthen its Online Games business with marketing, "measures to monetize" those games and a focus on growth outside of Japan.
Deep Down is a game that transcends categories. It's in development internally at Capcom Online Games. Deep Down is a console game that fits within the Consumer business. The procedurally generated, free-to-play RPG is being marketed worldwide with a new monetization strategy. Deep Down is also being developed with the company's new Panta Rhei engine.
Capcom unveiled Deep Down at the PlayStation 4 debut event in February 2013. For more on the game, be sure to read Polygon's hands-on impressions from the 2013 Tokyo Game Show. You can also watch a recent trailer below.
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Kingdom of Amalur - 10$ was the best deal ever
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!