Capcom has a plan, and it involves making more games in the style of the upcoming PlayStation 4-exclusive role-playing game Deep Down.
As part of its Digital Contents plan, Capcom lists one of its "strategic objectives" as developing "titles exclusively for online games, such as Deep Down for the PS4."
The company behind franchises like Dead Rising, Mega Man and Resident Evil revealed its goals in a document (PDF link) that encompasses predictions and strategies for the next five years.
Capcom categorizes video games into three general categories: home, PC online and mobile. Each category is "growing on a global scale," and Capcom expects that growth to continue through 2018, when it will be an $85 billion industry.
To improve its Consumer business, Capcom will "reinforce" its downloadable content strategy and hopes to "upgrade quality" and learn more by developing more games internally. It plans to strengthen its Online Games business with marketing, "measures to monetize" those games and a focus on growth outside of Japan.
Deep Down is a game that transcends categories. It's in development internally at Capcom Online Games. Deep Down is a console game that fits within the Consumer business. The procedurally generated, free-to-play RPG is being marketed worldwide with a new monetization strategy. Deep Down is also being developed with the company's new Panta Rhei engine.
Capcom unveiled Deep Down at the PlayStation 4 debut event in February 2013. For more on the game, be sure to read Polygon's hands-on impressions from the 2013 Tokyo Game Show. You can also watch a recent trailer below.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
More from Polygon
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Stopping non article videos from auto playing.
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites