Want to catch a glimpse of Destiny, the new shooter-MMO hybrid from the makers of Halo? We hope so, because we have a lot of glimpses to share.
We were recently allowed access to Destiny's early Alpha test, during which we got a chance to check out a small cross-section of the game. What we saw was awfully promising: Picture the punchy combat loops and fast-paced gunplay of Halo, combined with the progression hooks of a modern MMO. Imagine tackling groups of enemies in familiar fashion, with all manner of rifles, grenades and special abilities — but sometimes, those enemies drop hats with better stats than the hat that you're currently wearing. Now you're getting it!
Above you can watch a full match of the game's competitive multiplayer portion, called The Crucible. In those Player vs. Player modes, you use your persistent character from the rest of the game, and earn a special currency that can be spent on unique gear. If you're more interested in the game's cooperative moments, check out the videos below for a demonstration of all three of Destiny's classes, as well as a runthrough of the game's character creation system.
- Forum moderation?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31