Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS will add Lady Palutena and, possibly, Dark Pit to its roster of fighters, Nintendo revealed in a video shown during its E3 2014 Digital Event.
Lady Palutena is a fictional goddess from Nintendo's Kid Icarus series. Palutena has made several appearances in previous Super Smash Bros. titles as an unplayable character, such as a collectible trophy, as an Emissary and as a statue in the background of the Skyworld stage.
The video depicts Palutena as saying "I'm here for a little divine intervention." Her moves shown in the video include rocket jump, jump glide, reflect, super speed, angelic missile, celestial fireworks, black hole and mega laser.
Dark Pit, the arch-rival and doppelgänger of Kid Icarus' protagonist Pit, also appears in the footage and is acknowledged by Palutena. It's not immediately clear if Dark Pit will be included in the roster of fighters. Pit first appeared as a playable character in the Super Smash Bros. series in its the third installment as a balanced, medium-weight fighter with moves centered on the Three Sacred Treasures.
Lady Palutena and Dark Pit will join a roster of confirmed well-known characters such as Fire Emblem's Ike, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Luigi, Princess Peach, Princess Zelda, Princess Rosalina, Mega Man, Sonic, the Animal Crossing Villager, the Wii Fit trainer and Marth from Fire Emblem.
Nintendo will hold the debut tournament for Super Smash Bros. on Wii U in Los Angels on the first day of E3. From 7:00 p.m. June 10, the Super Smash Bros. Invitational will be livestreamed on the official Nintendo Twitch channel and Twitch's E3 channels.
In This StoryStream
- The Talos Principle review: human interest
- 2014 in review: The sports video game of the year
- Remembering Ralph Baer, the inventor of home video games
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Bad News Bearer (Wednesday, Dec. 17)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4 - Mercs and White Collars
- Which PS4 Games Are Must Buys Right Now in the Mature Genre?
- Your PERSONAL Top 25 Games of All Time!
- Why We Shouldn't Try to Stop "Hatred"?
- Forbes: You Don't Have To Kill Prostitutes In 'GTA V'
- Kerbal Space Program - Now in Beta!
- Getting the best picture out of retro game consoles
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (Nov - Dec)
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap