Final Fantasy Explorers, a new multiplayer action role-playing within the Final Fantasy franchise, is in development for Nintendo 3DS, according to the most recent issue of Jump magazine.
The game uses the classic Final Fantasy job class system in which players can choose and level up different kinds of fighters, ranging from physical combatants to magic wielders. Players will be able to use a variety of jobs — such as the White and Black Mages, Knights and Monks — and explore the world collecting crystals while fighting off enemy creatures, or Summons.
Many jobs throughout the Final Fantasy franchise will make an appearance in the game and some will be more suited to up-close combat, while other may be used long range. Players will also be able to choose from different weapons.
Up to four players can team up and each job must be utilized to its potential in order to defeat enemies. Explorers' main campaign involves defeating a string of Summons spanning the series' generations.
Final Fantasy Explorers is in development with Square Enix and does not have a release date at this time.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27