A representative from Nordic Games revealed to Polygon that they have acquired the THQ trademark and will be publishing games under the THQ name.
General Manager Klemens Kreuzer said that Nordic has recently recently closed a separate agreement for the trademark, one that was negotiated outside of the 2013 bankruptcy auctions where Nordic acquired numerous parts of the THQ catalog including the Darksiders series.
Kreuzer says that the agreement will allow Nordic to publish titles, potentially including the upcoming MX vs ATV, with THQ branding.
"It was kind of surprise to some industry veterans and players that we were the winner of the auction of the THQ titles," Kreuzer said. "The challenging fact is nobody has ever heard about Nordic Games before [the THQ auction]. There were so many articles with the headlines ‘Who the fuck is Nordic Games?’ We said, okay they were right.
"We have seen an uplift in the name of Nordic Games, and what we have also done is we have made a second deal with THQ where we bought the THQ trademark."
Kreuzer says that Nordic currently has the credentials of the THQ Facebook page and that a post made on June 10th regarding the upcoming MX vs ATV title was made by his team. That post was initially met with skepticism, with some Facebook users questioning if it was legitimate.
"We are small team," Kreuzer said. "The expectations from outside regarding the IPs of THQ are really high. We see it everyday on our Facebook sites. If we post something new to a project the first comments are, ‘Oh, nice. But what about Darksiders 3?’
"This is where we need some more patience from the fans, because we want to be able to do it right. The owner of Nordic Games has given [interviews] where he has said that he doesn’t want to make a shitty sequel."
He said that when his team is ready they will have something new to say about Darksiders. He also said that more announcements were coming at the Gamescom convention in August.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today