On Monday, digital content distributor Defy Media acquired Addicting Games, Shockwave and GameTrailers from Viacom. Today, those companies were struck by layoffs, according to the tweets of former employees.
"My 10th #E3 complete, Friday the 13th and just got laid off from @Gametrailers," wrote Jeremy Hoffmann, formerly a producer for GameTrailers TV. Hoffmann added, "Great people @GameTrailers will be looking for jobs, we have editorial, video editors, tech managers & more looking for work. #gamejobs"
"Exciting times ahead for @GameTrailers and Defy. I just won't be part of it. Best of luck space cowboys," tweeted former director at GameTrailers, Ryan Stevens. Other layoff announcements have begun to appear on Twitter.
"Two weeks from now, I will be leaving @GameTrailers. Thank you for allowing me to talk about indie games again and for all the new friends," tweeted Rob Manuel, former producer at GameTrailers.
The news comes just one day after E3, the biggest video game expo in North America.
Update: Sources tell us half to two-thirds of full-time staff were let go.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?