On Monday, digital content distributor Defy Media acquired Addicting Games, Shockwave and GameTrailers from Viacom. Today, those companies were struck by layoffs, according to the tweets of former employees.
"My 10th #E3 complete, Friday the 13th and just got laid off from @Gametrailers," wrote Jeremy Hoffmann, formerly a producer for GameTrailers TV. Hoffmann added, "Great people @GameTrailers will be looking for jobs, we have editorial, video editors, tech managers & more looking for work. #gamejobs"
"Exciting times ahead for @GameTrailers and Defy. I just won't be part of it. Best of luck space cowboys," tweeted former director at GameTrailers, Ryan Stevens. Other layoff announcements have begun to appear on Twitter.
"Two weeks from now, I will be leaving @GameTrailers. Thank you for allowing me to talk about indie games again and for all the new friends," tweeted Rob Manuel, former producer at GameTrailers.
The news comes just one day after E3, the biggest video game expo in North America.
Update: Sources tell us half to two-thirds of full-time staff were let go.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Minecon is officially off this year; looks to return in 2015
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League