On Monday, digital content distributor Defy Media acquired Addicting Games, Shockwave and GameTrailers from Viacom. Today, those companies were struck by layoffs, according to the tweets of former employees.
"My 10th #E3 complete, Friday the 13th and just got laid off from @Gametrailers," wrote Jeremy Hoffmann, formerly a producer for GameTrailers TV. Hoffmann added, "Great people @GameTrailers will be looking for jobs, we have editorial, video editors, tech managers & more looking for work. #gamejobs"
"Exciting times ahead for @GameTrailers and Defy. I just won't be part of it. Best of luck space cowboys," tweeted former director at GameTrailers, Ryan Stevens. Other layoff announcements have begun to appear on Twitter.
"Two weeks from now, I will be leaving @GameTrailers. Thank you for allowing me to talk about indie games again and for all the new friends," tweeted Rob Manuel, former producer at GameTrailers.
The news comes just one day after E3, the biggest video game expo in North America.
Update: Sources tell us half to two-thirds of full-time staff were let go.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- What is BioWare teasing in this surreal new trailer?
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today