You can do many interesting things in Destiny, but of course your character's fresh moves are always going to be a major draw. The team at Bungie heard about an interesting glitch in the game during E3 however: Dancing along to some fresh beats gives you a a pretty substantial advantage in battle.
"We get data from everything: where players are, what they’re doing in the world, where they’re dying, if they’re out of ammo, win / losses, any bug reports, we have the alpha site running so if people want to provide anecdotal evidence or if they have a screenshot or hit the share button to show the evidence," Eric Osbourne, the head of community for Destiny and a writer at Bungie told Polygon. All that data and fan involvement leads to some interesting bug reports.
"We just had someone telling us on the showfloor that ‘oh hey when I dance I can kind go into third-person in multiplayer and look around cover,’ and now the team is back at the office thinking about… you know they, knew about it," Osbourne said. "But is it a problem? Is it okay? Everyone can do it!"
They're still working out what to do with "features" such as this, and that's part of the challenge and fun of running an alpha. "We learn a lot from these tests," he said. "It’s a real alpha, it’s not a marketing alpha."
My vote? I'd love to see it kept in. Players dancing when they pause on the battlefield could be the best thing to happen to online shooters in a long time.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No 1.2: No More Games.
- Polygon Daily Open-Thread: Meanwhile, on Mars (Thu 23 Oct)
- Poly-OT: Super Smash Bros. 3DS - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, TIME
- GamerGate: On Vengeance and Escalation
- Polygon is hiring!
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (October)
- Why do you think PS4 is 'winning'?
- Would you want to use an app like this?
- So, what wallpaper/s are you rockin' on your PC right now?
- Polygon Daily Open-Thread: Event Horizon 2 (Wed 22 Oct)