Having trouble getting your Xbox on when you say "Xbox, on"? Maybe Aaron Paul can help.
His new ad for the console (above), in which the Breaking Bad (and Need For Speed film) star speaks the command, appears to be turning on consoles attached to the TV. Yeah, science!
The Onion A.V. Club reports a series of tweets from users saying Paul's voice activated their Xbox One. Another tech blogger, according to the BBC, says the sudden activation also caused his television to switch off.
When the Xbox One is in standby mode, the Kinect 2.0 sensor is always listening, precisely because of the "Xbox on," functionality. The Natural Resources Defense Council has criticized Microsoft (as well as Sony and Nintendo) for the power consumption used in their next-gen consoles' standby modes.
Of course, Kinect can be dis-kinected, just by unplugging it. And this may be less of a problem now that Microsoft is shipping Xbox Ones that don't include the all-hearing sensor.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Feature to track games?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)