Having trouble getting your Xbox on when you say "Xbox, on"? Maybe Aaron Paul can help.
His new ad for the console (above), in which the Breaking Bad (and Need For Speed film) star speaks the command, appears to be turning on consoles attached to the TV. Yeah, science!
The Onion A.V. Club reports a series of tweets from users saying Paul's voice activated their Xbox One. Another tech blogger, according to the BBC, says the sudden activation also caused his television to switch off.
When the Xbox One is in standby mode, the Kinect 2.0 sensor is always listening, precisely because of the "Xbox on," functionality. The Natural Resources Defense Council has criticized Microsoft (as well as Sony and Nintendo) for the power consumption used in their next-gen consoles' standby modes.
Of course, Kinect can be dis-kinected, just by unplugging it. And this may be less of a problem now that Microsoft is shipping Xbox Ones that don't include the all-hearing sensor.
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Here's the opening to that Bayonetta anime they've been talking about forever
- Learn how to copy, and know when to steal
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?