Having trouble getting your Xbox on when you say "Xbox, on"? Maybe Aaron Paul can help.
His new ad for the console (above), in which the Breaking Bad (and Need For Speed film) star speaks the command, appears to be turning on consoles attached to the TV. Yeah, science!
The Onion A.V. Club reports a series of tweets from users saying Paul's voice activated their Xbox One. Another tech blogger, according to the BBC, says the sudden activation also caused his television to switch off.
When the Xbox One is in standby mode, the Kinect 2.0 sensor is always listening, precisely because of the "Xbox on," functionality. The Natural Resources Defense Council has criticized Microsoft (as well as Sony and Nintendo) for the power consumption used in their next-gen consoles' standby modes.
Of course, Kinect can be dis-kinected, just by unplugging it. And this may be less of a problem now that Microsoft is shipping Xbox Ones that don't include the all-hearing sensor.
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Dota 2 team Newbee just won The International 4 — along with the largest eSports prize pool in history
- Watch Dogs modder releases final version of his PC graphics overhaul, TheWorse Mod
- I'm reviewing every FMV game because I'm broken inside
- Quit Twitter before you're hard, quit Instagram before you're soft
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Gun Game Tips
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Destiny Beta
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 14: Beast War-riors (part 2)
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)