Forza Horizon 2 will launch without "tokens," the virtual currency the Forza franchise uses to acquire cars, Digital Spy reports.
Playground Games' Ralph Fulton said the game won't feature tokens — which can be bought in Forza Motorsport 5 for real money — at launch because developers have designed the game "to be fair, to be fun, to be rewarding."
"That's incredibly important to us," he added. "For that reason, we will launch in September without tokens."
Forza Horizon 2's unlock system, Fulton said, is designed to get drivers trying out new cars very quickly, and premium vehicles are prizes in a wheel-of-fortune type minigame featured in the multiplayer of the original Forza Horizon. Each time a driver levels up he earns a spin on the wheel.
When Forza Motorsport 5 launched, Microsoft faced heavy criticism for the manner in which its virtual economy and microtransactions were handled. Shortly after its release, Microsoft adjusted the rate at which players acquired tokens for free, and discounted the prices on the unlockable vehicles in Forza 5's fleet.
Forza Horizon 2, a sequel to the 2012 open-world action racer, will launch Sept. 30 for Xbox One and Xbox 360. For more on the game, see our report from E3 2014.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?