According to the Kickstarter pitch, the two-person team at Tale of Tales, Auriea Harvey and Michaël Samyn, would use the funds for a portion of Sunset's budget. Tale of Tales has already received a grant from the Belgian government's art programs, but one of the grant's stipulations is that the money can comprise no more than half of a game's financing. A pie chart on the pitch page indicates that the $25,000 Kickstarter goal would make up approximately one-sixth of the game's development costs, which puts the full budget at about $150,000.
The total would cover the team's salaries, hardware and software, payment for contributors and studio upkeep costs. Tale of Tales is collaborating with individuals such as composer Austin Wintory (Journey, The Banner Saga) and voice actor Tina Marie Murray.
Tale of Tales, whose previous work includes The Path, announced Sunset last month. The studio is designing it to be a narrative-driven adventure game akin to The Fullbright Company's Gone Home. The game is set amid a violent rebellion in a fictional South American city during the early 1970s. You play as a housekeeper, Angela Burnes, who works in the swanky penthouse apartment of a man named Gabriel Ortega. Burnes visits the bachelor pad once a week, and eventually becomes embroiled in a plot against a dictator, Generalísimo Ricardo Miraflores. Each play session runs for an in-game hour — the span between Burnes' arrival at Ortega's apartment, and sunset.
Sunset is in development on Linux, Mac and Windows PC, and is scheduled to be released in March 2015. You can check out the Kickstarter pitch video below. Tale of Tales launched the campaign six hours ago, and as of this writing, the studio has already pulled in more than $11,000.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Peggle 2 is coming to PlayStation 4
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Themes are coming to Nintendo 3DS to make your old 3DS prettier
- Super Meat Boy Forever is an endless platformer, not a little 'throwaway game'
- Ambitious, beautiful multiplayer space combat game GoD Factory: Wingmen launches today