The world's largest video game collection — a compilation of more than 11,000 games that have been verified by The Guinness Book of World Records — has been sold to a bidder for $750,250 according to GameGavel.
The auction, which began with a starting bid of $1, came to an end on June 15. It had 56 bids in total. In addition to the collection, the winner will also receive a lifetime subscription to Retro Magazine.
"I operated seven independent gaming stores during the nineties and have worked for another chain for the last decade," former owner Michael Thomasson wrote on the collection's page. "I also operated Good Deal Games online since 1998, having thousands of games cross my path. Whenever I purchased a game that did not directly come from the distributor I was able to look through all our inventory and pick out the nicest copy of a game, including grabbing the nicest box and manual.
"Approximately a quarter of the collection is new factory sealed! There are a whopping 2600+ factory shrink-wrapped titles in the collection! Over 8,300 are complete with box and manual."
According to Thomasson, the auction was part of an effort to help immediate and extended family with "needs that need to be addressed." He added that he will continue to "champion" video games by writing, teaching and playing.
"I've sold my collection many times in the past and still managed to capture Guinness' attention, and it is entirely possible that I may again," Thomasson wrote.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?