Sony CEO and president Kazuo Hirai and other head executives will retain their positions following a shareholders meeting on Thursday where investors voted on their fate.
"The best way to build our future is for Sony to remain Sony, and realize our motto to become a company that inspires and fulfills your curiosity," the Associated Press reports Hirai as saying during the meeting where the CEO promised that "the money-losing structure" will be resolved this fiscal year.
The Sony president apologized for not being more proactive with making changes to the company in the face of its ongoing losses, which, according to the AP, Sony shareholders heckled Hirai and other executives about during the meeting.
The New York Post reported in December that Sony was searching for "at least one" new director for its board as it seeks to cut costs and rejuvenate its business. The Post cited sources as saying that Sony approached several of its United States-based media executives for the position. The Japanese electronics and media company holds a board of 13 members.
Sony ended its fiscal year with a net loss of $1.26 billion. The launch of PlayStation 4 last November helped increase the company's sales and operating revenue by 14.3 percent. Its game sector recorded an operating loss of $78 million partially due to costs associated with the console's launch and a sales increase of 38.5 percent, also attributed to the system's release.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The best new video game toys from Comic-Con
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming