League of Legends developer Riot banned two professional players for behavior deemed "extremely toxic," including verbal abuse and game harassment, eSports coordinatior Scott "Riot Abhorsen" Parkin announced via the game's forums.
Alfonso Aguirre Rodriguez, also known as Mithy, and Erlend "Nukeduck" Holm from team Ninjas in Pyjamas are suspended from the League Championship Series and the Challenger Series through the end of 2014. According to Parkin, Rodriguez consistently violates LoL's rules for players; he's been reported in more than 30 percent of games he's played in with the most common complaints focusing on negative attitude, offensive language and verbal abuse.
"In recent months, Rodriguez has exhibited extremely toxic behavior in solo queue," Parkin wrote. "This behavior included, but was not limited to, in game harassment, verbal abuse and continual use of racial slurs."
In response to the ban, Rodriguez took to Twitter to admit that he "didn't have the best behavior, so the ban is deserved."
Since I'm banned for 6months I'll be looking to join teams as a coach and meanwhile work on my behaviour and try and come back to the scene— Alfonso 'mithy' (@mithyxd) June 2, 2014
Holm's charges are similar, with reports averaging around 30 percent of the games he played. In 65 percent of cases, Holm was reported for offensive language, verbal abuse and negative attitude.
"Despite previous punishments for his toxicity, Holm's behavior has shown no improvement over the past months, even after his account became Chat Restricted," Parkin wrote.
On Twitter, Holm said that he received no proper warning for his behavior and has never been banned during his account's 14-month lifespan.
The player added that he'll take the ban as a learning experience and "try to come back stronger."
Rodriguez and Holm are yet another two players to join a growing list of punished players, including Christian "IWillDominate" Rivera, Ilyas "enVision" Hartsema, Damien "Linak" Lorthios and the entire team of Team Solo Mebdi.
For more on how Riot Games is encouraging sportsmanship in its MOBA, check out our coverage of lead designer Jeffery Lin's talk from GDC 2014.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?