Mario Kart 8, the latest entry in Nintendo's kart racing franchise, is the fastest selling Wii U game in the console's history, the company announced today.
The game has sold more than 1.2 million copies worldwide since its release May 29 in Japan and May 30 in North America and Europe. Mario Kart 8 is also pulling in the "strongest review scores in franchise history."
"The early response to Mario Kart 8 demonstrates that the best days for Wii U are still ahead," Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America president and COO, said. "This year's E3 is just days away, and it will be all about the future games for Nintendo platforms."
For more on Mario Kart 8, check out our review.
Despite the game's rapid sales, Mario Kart 8 is still likely to be one of the worst-selling titles in the franchise's history. For a complete breakdown, check out our analysis piece on Mario Kart.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today