Running enthusiasts, next time you complete a 5K pat yourself on the back and say to yourself, "I just finished Super Mario Bros."
Extrapolating the distance of each level, assuming Mario's small size and his stride are those of an average man, Nick Greene of Mental Floss calculated that Mario runs 3.4 miles from world 1-1 to world 8-4 (so, about 5.4 kilometers.) This is a straight-line run on the solid ground portions, and doesn't account for things like backtracking, nor skipping ahead with bonus levels. Mario, obviously, ascends and descends, and stops and starts.
The water levels add another 371 meters, more than 7 laps in an Olympic pool. So after running a 5K Mario is basically jumping in for a 400 meter freestyle race. Too bad he doesn't bicycle any of these levels, then it could be a triathlon.
Speed Demos Archive, the hosts of the the Games Done Quick event taking place right now, lists the fastest, no-warp, all-stages time for Super Mario Bros. at 19 minutes, 40 seconds. So Mario's fast — running about a 5:30 mile pace. But not world class. His 5K time would be about 17:15, nearly 4 minutes and 22 seconds slower than the world record holder in the 5000 meters.
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- With Han Solo, Leia and Chewie, Star Wars Commander is bringing back the force
- Wii U game pre-orders see the largest increase during Gamescom, says Amazon UK
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?