The Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 will be a different game than the Xbox One version and not a straight port; Instead the game will be a unique experience "inspired by the same ideas" as the Xbox One game, developer Playground Games told Digital Spy.
Playground Games, the studio behind the Xbox One version, said both versions of the title will run on different engines and include a different set of features. The Sumo Digital-developed Xbox 360 version will run on the same engine as 2012's Forza Horizon, while the Xbox One version will work with the engine for last year's Forza Motorsport 5.
"It's based in the same world, it's based on the same themes," Playground Games creative director Ralph Fulton said of the Xbox 360 version. "Rather than thinking of them as the same game on different platforms, they are different games inspired by the same ideas."
Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One will exclusively use the dynamic weather system and Driveatars. These features will not be present in the Xbox 360 version.
"There are things we are doing in Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One that honestly couldn't be done on any other console," Fulton explained.
Forza Horizon 2 will launch for Xbox 360 and Xbox One on Sept. 30. The game will launch without the "token" microtransaction system previously used in earlier franchise titles.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Ultima Forever comes to an end months after closure of EA Mythic
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?