The Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 will be a different game than the Xbox One version and not a straight port; Instead the game will be a unique experience "inspired by the same ideas" as the Xbox One game, developer Playground Games told Digital Spy.
Playground Games, the studio behind the Xbox One version, said both versions of the title will run on different engines and include a different set of features. The Sumo Digital-developed Xbox 360 version will run on the same engine as 2012's Forza Horizon, while the Xbox One version will work with the engine for last year's Forza Motorsport 5.
"It's based in the same world, it's based on the same themes," Playground Games creative director Ralph Fulton said of the Xbox 360 version. "Rather than thinking of them as the same game on different platforms, they are different games inspired by the same ideas."
Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One will exclusively use the dynamic weather system and Driveatars. These features will not be present in the Xbox 360 version.
"There are things we are doing in Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One that honestly couldn't be done on any other console," Fulton explained.
Forza Horizon 2 will launch for Xbox 360 and Xbox One on Sept. 30. The game will launch without the "token" microtransaction system previously used in earlier franchise titles.
- Hatred, free speech and one developer's connections with Poland's far right
- 2014 in review: The year's must-play handheld games
- Before you see the last Hobbit movie you really need to watch this amazing explainer
- The 2014 Steam Holiday Sale begins now
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD's Class Zero: Heroes, or traitors?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Next Time (Thursday, Dec. 18)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4 - Mercs and White Collars
- Getting the best picture out of retro game consoles
- Why We Shouldn't Try to Stop "Hatred"?
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- The Ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition (!Spoilers obviously!)
- Polynauts Play Assassin's Creed: Unity
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Some PSP/ PS1 games listed as compatible for PStv in USA but not in EU/AUS... why? :(
- Kerbal Space Program - Now in Beta!