The Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 will be a different game than the Xbox One version and not a straight port; Instead the game will be a unique experience "inspired by the same ideas" as the Xbox One game, developer Playground Games told Digital Spy.
Playground Games, the studio behind the Xbox One version, said both versions of the title will run on different engines and include a different set of features. The Sumo Digital-developed Xbox 360 version will run on the same engine as 2012's Forza Horizon, while the Xbox One version will work with the engine for last year's Forza Motorsport 5.
"It's based in the same world, it's based on the same themes," Playground Games creative director Ralph Fulton said of the Xbox 360 version. "Rather than thinking of them as the same game on different platforms, they are different games inspired by the same ideas."
Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One will exclusively use the dynamic weather system and Driveatars. These features will not be present in the Xbox 360 version.
"There are things we are doing in Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One that honestly couldn't be done on any other console," Fulton explained.
Forza Horizon 2 will launch for Xbox 360 and Xbox One on Sept. 30. The game will launch without the "token" microtransaction system previously used in earlier franchise titles.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Heroes of the Storm's newest character plucked from World of Warcraft's comic
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22