Just as funding Cloud Imperium's space combat and exploration sim Star Citizen surges past $47 million, the developer announced that it will honor the community's decision to keep goals, founder Chris Roberts announced in an official blog post.
With the last funding goal achievement, the developer asked its community to vote on whether or not they would like to keep goals. In the past, the goals unlocked rewards such as new ships, additional solar systems to explore, in-game equipment and more. Players were also often given the opportunity to vote on which rewards would unlock next. The vote on whether to keep player rewards resulted in 54 percent of the community voting in favor of retaining the goals.
"As I said last time, every dollar supports Star Citizen's persistent universe... but I'm not comfortable promising additional features with each million unless they're truly additive," Roberts wrote. "When we have a new idea that really impacts the final game and needs the funding then we'll offer it here... but you can expect a number of player rewards and new ways of highlighting Arena Commander as immediate goals!"
The latest stretch goal offers the last of the player-voted reward items, the Engine Tuning Kit. Hitting $49 million will unlock a "space plant" called a Xi'An tree. Star Citizen reached $44 million in crowd funding earlier this month. For more on Star Citizen and its recently released Arena Commander dogfighting module, check out our impressions from going hands-on with the mode.
- An awful week to care about video games
- How Salt and Sanctuary reimagines Dark Souls as a 2D action-platformer
- Valve taken to court by Australian consumer commission over Steam refund policy
- The pitch versus the reality: what one of gaming's biggest Kickstarters looks like now
- Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to PS4 'very soon'
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- Where to buy?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- On Being A "Gamer"
- On Patreon support