A long-dormant fan-run project to create a high-definition remake of Sega's 1992 platformer Sonic the Hedgehog 2 broke its silence late last night with an announcement on the project's official Facebook page stating production had resumed.
The Sonic 2 HD project aims to recreate Sega's classic platformer, initially released in 8-bit and 16-bit versions in 1992 for the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis respectively, with better graphics while keeping the original gameplay intact. Early plans for Sonic 2 HD included the addition of multiplayer modes, bonus levels and red echidna Knuckles as a playable character alongside Sonic and Tails.
An alpha version of the game was released in spring 2012, but since then project leaders have been quiet on their full release plans.
Last night's post on the Sonic 2 HD Facebook page states work has restarted on the project, noting that the main reason for the two-year silence was a removal of the game's programming element "with no possibility of return in its existing form" as the original team members disbanded. As a result, the Sonic 2 HD project is also no longer running on its original engine; However, a fan of the project created and submitted his own engine, and after testing the game's art assets within the engine and finding they work, development has resumed.
Additionally, the project has picked up two more programmers, allowing the team to tackle a Mac port of Sonic 2 HD as well. The alpha build of the game will not longer receive support, with the next release including "entirely new programming from the ground up."
More details on how others can get involved on the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD project will be posted to its Facebook page over the next few days.
Correction: This post originally referred to Knuckles as a hedgehog. He is an echidna, obviously, and the story has been updated to reflect that.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- A global terrorist attack kicks off Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, watch the story trailer here
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA launches subscription service on Xbox One
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Tell Us Your Story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???