Xbox Live Gold subscribers will be able to download three newly free games in July, including The Behemoth's BattleBlock Theater and the Xbox One debut of DrinkBox Studios' Guacamelee, Microsoft announced today.
Guacamelee (screenshot above), which was originally released on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita in April 2013, will launch July 2 on Xbox One and Xbox 360 as Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition for $14.99. (That enhanced version of the platformer will also be available on PlayStation 4 and Wii U the same month.)
Xbox One-owning Gold subscribers will be able to download the Super Turbo Championship edition for free as of July 2. Press Play's Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (regularly $14.99), which became available free under Games with Gold this month, will remain free on Xbox One.
As usual, two Xbox 360 titles will go free for Games with Gold. BattleBlock Theater (reg. $14.99) will be available free from July 1-15, and Monolith Productions' Gotham City Impostors (reg. $14.99) will replace it from July 16-31.
June was the month that Microsoft first brought Games with Gold to Xbox One, and turned the initiative into a program with "subscription-based access": Instead of owning the free games forever, you only have access to them for as long as you're an Xbox Live Gold members — the same as PlayStation Plus.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27