Sales of Mario Kart 8, the latest entry in Nintendo's kart racing franchise, hit about 2 million copies worldwide since its release a month ago, Nintendo of America confirmed with Polygon today.
The number, which Nintendo officials said it sold through to consumers, was revealed during the company's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in Japan early today.
The title became the fastest selling Wii U game in the console's history when it sold more than 1.2 million copies worldwide since its release May 29 in Japan and May 30 in North America and Europe, Nintendo revealed in early June.
Mario Kart 8 also garnered the "strongest review scores in franchise history," according to the company. While Mario Kart 8's performance is strong, it still may be one of the worst-selling titles in the franchise's history, which you can read more about in our analysis piece on the Mario Kart series.
To learn about Mario Kart 8 and its gameplay, be sure to check out our review.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Kingdom of Amalur - 10$ was the best deal ever
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!