Sales of Mario Kart 8, the latest entry in Nintendo's kart racing franchise, hit about 2 million copies worldwide since its release a month ago, Nintendo of America confirmed with Polygon today.
The number, which Nintendo officials said it sold through to consumers, was revealed during the company's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in Japan early today.
The title became the fastest selling Wii U game in the console's history when it sold more than 1.2 million copies worldwide since its release May 29 in Japan and May 30 in North America and Europe, Nintendo revealed in early June.
Mario Kart 8 also garnered the "strongest review scores in franchise history," according to the company. While Mario Kart 8's performance is strong, it still may be one of the worst-selling titles in the franchise's history, which you can read more about in our analysis piece on the Mario Kart series.
To learn about Mario Kart 8 and its gameplay, be sure to check out our review.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Stopping non article videos from auto playing.
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites