Nintendo president Satoru Iwata and eight head executives were re-elected at the company's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in Kyoto, Japan today.
The nine candidates Iwata, Genyo Takeda, game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, Tatsumi Kimishima, Shigeyuki Takahashi, Satoshi Yamato, Susumu Tanaka, Shinya Takahashi and Hirokazu Shinshi, were re-elected while one candidate, Mr. Naoki Mizutani, was elected. Iwata, Miyamoto and Takeda were appointed as representative directors at the meeting of the Board of Directors held after the shareholder meeting.
Iwata underwent surgery to deal with a growth that was found in his bile duct last week and had to sit out of the company's annual shareholders meeting as a result. Nintendo's president did not attend E3 2014 earlier this month due unspecified health issues that rendered him unable to travel to Los Angeles. Iwata has already resumed light business duties but a little more time is needed before he resumes his regular work schedule.
Last month, the company reported its third consecutive annual loss for its most recent fiscal year with an operating loss of $456 million. Iwata indicated in January that Nintendo was expecting that outcome. He said at the time that while he felt responsible for the company's poor financial performance, he would not be resigning and took a pay cut of 50 percent for the following five months.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming