Nintendo president Satoru Iwata and eight head executives were re-elected at the company's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in Kyoto, Japan today.
The nine candidates Iwata, Genyo Takeda, game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, Tatsumi Kimishima, Shigeyuki Takahashi, Satoshi Yamato, Susumu Tanaka, Shinya Takahashi and Hirokazu Shinshi, were re-elected while one candidate, Mr. Naoki Mizutani, was elected. Iwata, Miyamoto and Takeda were appointed as representative directors at the meeting of the Board of Directors held after the shareholder meeting.
Iwata underwent surgery to deal with a growth that was found in his bile duct last week and had to sit out of the company's annual shareholders meeting as a result. Nintendo's president did not attend E3 2014 earlier this month due unspecified health issues that rendered him unable to travel to Los Angeles. Iwata has already resumed light business duties but a little more time is needed before he resumes his regular work schedule.
Last month, the company reported its third consecutive annual loss for its most recent fiscal year with an operating loss of $456 million. Iwata indicated in January that Nintendo was expecting that outcome. He said at the time that while he felt responsible for the company's poor financial performance, he would not be resigning and took a pay cut of 50 percent for the following five months.
- An awful week to care about video games
- How Salt and Sanctuary reimagines Dark Souls as a 2D action-platformer
- Valve taken to court by Australian consumer commission over Steam refund policy
- The pitch versus the reality: what one of gaming's biggest Kickstarters looks like now
- Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to PS4 'very soon'
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- Where to buy?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- On Being A "Gamer"