Peter Dinklage's infamous dialogue from Destiny's alpha — which turned "That wizard came from the moon" into an instant meme — will get two tune-ups before the game launches in September, Bungie said yesterday in the studio's regular update to gamers.
Responding to the rhetorical question, "Hey, the Ghost dialogue in the Alpha was totally final, right?" — meaning Dinklage as the game's AI character — Bungie said the voice-over "has already been updated for Beta," and "It will be updated again for launch on Sept. 9, as well.
"Funny thing about Alpha builds ... they're not done. Please pardon our Moon dust!" Bungie added, directly referencing the meme.
Dinklage's seemingly deadpan, disinterested acting jolted many Destiny players during the game's alpha, raising concerns the game may have wasted the talent of an A-list actor (he portrays Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones).
In response, Bungie whipped up a T-shirt bearing the lunar wizard catchphrase and it sold quite well. "We love that you can lean in and laugh with us, and even better, we love that you continue to blow us away with your generosity," Bungie says.
In other news in the update, Bungie reiterated that the $500 million figure tossed out by Bobby Kotick, the head of Destiny publisher Activision, is not a development budget for this game alone. "I think that speaks a lot more to the long-term investment that we're making in the future of the product," said Pete Parsons, the Bungie chief operating officer. In 2010, Bungie signed a 10-year agreement with Activision to deliver four games.
Bungie also divulged the full set of trophies/achievements, bearing some hints about future content in the game.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA offers top games and big discounts for $5 a month
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake