The world record for fastest completion of Super Mario Bros. has been beaten by nearly half a second, an eternity in the speedrunning community, particularly for a 27-year-old game that's seen millions of attempts to run it the fastest.
Blubbler is the new world record holder (under the "any percentage" designation, meaning warps may be used.) The secret to his success is in world 8-2 (around 3:27 of the video above). After lingering for what appears to be a devastating 1.5 seconds while the winged Koopa passes overhead, Blubbler recovers all of that time, and more, racing Bullet Bill to the flagpole and using a glitch that allows him to skip the post-level walk to the castle.
Blubbler snips the wire at 4:57.69, taking the record from andrewg, who had held it at 4:59.09
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- how do i cross save olliolli from Vita to ps4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)