Sony will cease shipments of the PlayStation Portable to the domestic Japanese market beginning June 2014, the company announced today.
Sony revealed the discontinuation of the PSP in Japan in an announcement for two PlayStation Vita Super Value Packs for the region. Sony is offering users in country PS Vita product discounts for PSP trade-ins. The Universal Media Disc-using handheld console was first announced during E3 2003 and officially unveiled at a Sony press conference a year later. It launched in Japan in late 2004, North America in early 2005 and PAL regions late 2005.
A remodeled version, the PSP-2000, launched in 2007 followed by another reiteration with the PSP-3000 in 2008. Sony launched the PSP Go model, which featured a sliding screen to reveal the controls, alongside the PSP-3000. The corporation discontinued the new design in 2011 outside of North America to focus on the PSP's successor, the PlayStation Vita that launched worldwide in 2012.
We have reached out to Sony for more information about other regions.
Update: "The shipping of the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system has been completed in North America and within the PAL territory, which includes Australia and New Zealand," a Sony Computer Entertainment Australia spokesperson told Polygon. "Also, it will be completed in Japan in June 2014 as announced on June 3. As for other area/regions (Asia), the PSP business and production are continued.
"We continue to support the PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) system which was introduced in 2012. PS Vita continues to offer immersive handheld gaming experiences, enriched by it's seamless connectivity with PlayStation 4."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Legend of Zelda in virtual reality is both familiar and completely terrifying
- This Sonic and Cammy fan-film only gets weird after the S&M scene
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???