Konami has given the go ahead for a collective of developers, The Outer Heaven team, to develop a full remake of 1987s action-adventure stealth game Metal Gear for release on Steam.
"The game will be a full remake of the original game, new script, new models, the works. The theme compositions will also be revamped with orchestral arrangements and with the Metal Gear Solid 2 style electronic beats," developer Ian Ratcliffe told Polygon. "The style of the game will be reworked, bringing it more up-to-date with the other games in the series, we're still undecided on some aspects, like what style to have the camera angles, birdseye view or the more traditional Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Solid 2 style."
First spearheaded by Glenn Eeckhaut, Ratcliffe joked that the project began for the love of Metal Gear and to give them something to do while they wait for the upcoming release of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Konami granted the team permission to use all copyrighted material with the agreement that they don't make a profit from the recreation or accept donations for the production.
"It's excellent that a company that huge, would let us do such a thing, we're very grateful." Ratcliffe added. "We received something else too, but for now I cannot disclose, lets just say great GREAT things are happening, and we're very grateful to everyone involved."
The Outer Heaven team are looking for a volunteer cutscene animator, cutscene artist "in the style of Yoji Shinkawa or Ashley Wood," storyboard artist, sound effects artist, composer and voice over talent. Deadline for all voice actor auditions is July 31, and deadlines for visual artists and animators is sooner "as we require most of the work to be finished by the end of September." The project may see release on other platforms pending its popularity.
Metal Gear was originally released on the MSX2 in Japan and Europe. An unofficial port was developed for the Famicom/NES , while a remake of the MSX2 game launched on the PlayStation 2 as a bonus game in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.
Update: The Outer Heaven's Metal Gear remake project is not currently available. We can expect an update on the project this month.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas Plague Quarter - Overview Video
- What it's like to attend Girls Make Games, the all-girls game dev summer camp
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- The story of Crytek: From X-Isle through Redemption
- Twitch starts streaming live music today
- Neverwinter MMO is coming to Xbox One next year
- Ex-Silicon Knights dev sentenced in child pornography case, charged with sexual assault
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?