President Obama may be a gaming novice, but during a visit to Poland he had kind words to say about developer CD Projekt Red's Witcher series of role-playing games, TVN 24 reports.
During a 2011 trip to the country, Polish officials presented him with a copy of the role-playing game as a symbol of the country's economic development.
"The last time I was here, Donald [Tusk, Poland's prime minister] gave me a gift, the video game developed here in Poland that’s won fans the world over, The Witcher," Obama said. "I confess, I’m not very good at video games, but I’ve been told that it is a great example of Poland’s place in the new global economy. And it’s a tribute to the talents and work ethic of the Polish people as well as the wise stewardship of Polish leaders like prime minister Tusk."
The video games are based on a series of fantasy stories written by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. CD Projekt Red's RPG series began in 2007 with The Witcher and continued in 2011 with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. The next game in the series, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, is in development for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC and scheduled for a February 2015 launch. You can check out the game's debut trailer below and read our report on the most innovative games of 2014, with includes The Witcher 3.
Update: A previous version of this story listed The Witcher's release year as 2009. We've corrected the story to read 2007 and regret the error.
- I caught every Pokémon and it only took most of my life
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Swing Copters, clones and the dismal failure of the 'open' app store
- Destiny launch trailer shows combat readiness
- Watch 20 minutes of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain gameplay from Gamescom
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us