The platform reached peak usage of 8,020,813 concurrent members on June 29 at midday PDT, during its Steam Summer Sale Encore Day. The Summer Sale launched last week and is scheduled to conclude June 30 at 1 p.m. ET.
Steam broke the 7-million-user mark in early December and 7.5 million users over the Christmas period. Valve surpassed 6 million concurrent users for the first time in November 2012. The company revealed in October that the number of users increased by 30 percent in a year to reach more than 65 million total Steam accounts. Valve announced during it Steam Dev Days in January that the increased to 75 million active users.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- This is what the sheer intensity of an official Pokemon championship tournament looks like
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward