Most bookies fancy Brazil or perhaps Argentina to win the 2014 World Cup, which begins next week. But FIFA 14 publisher Electronic Arts has other ideas.
In time-honored tradition, the company today published a pre-tournament prediction, based on "the award-winning EA Sports football engine that drives FIFA" games. After running simulations of the 32-team tournament, the video game team most likely to win in real life is Germany.
"EA was able to simulate the 2014 FIFA World Cup and test all 32 teams under the same conditions they will face in the weeks ahead in Brazil," stated the company. "It was determined that Germany will defeat Brazil 2-1 (ET) at the Estádio do Maracanã on July 13 to win the country's fourth FIFA World Cup, becoming the first European nation to win the FIFA World Cup on South American soil."
EA points out that four years ago, the company "accurately predicted that Spain would prevail as the tournament champions." At that time, Spain was considered a hot favorite to win the World Cup.
The company's other predictions include Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior of Brazil winning the Golden Boot (most goals scored) with six goals and Spain's Andrés Iniesta scoring the tournament's best goal, versus England.
Here are EA Sports' full predictions from the knockout rounds.
Brazil 1 - 2 Germany (ET)
3rd Place Game
Portugal 1 - 3 Spain
Brazil 1 - 0 Portugal
Spain 0 - 0 Germany (Germany 5-4 pens)
Brazil 2 - 2 Uruguay (Brazil 4-3 pens)
Portugal 4 - 3 Nigeria
England 0 - 2 Spain
Germany 2 - 1 Argentina
Round of 16
Brazil 3 - 1 Netherlands
Ivory Coast 2 - 3 Uruguay
France 0 - 1 Nigeria
Portugal 2 - 0 Russia
Spain 3 - 1 Mexico
England 1 - 1 Colombia (England 4-3 pens)
Argentina 2 - 0 Ecuador
Belgium 1 - 2 Germany
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart