A company-wide meeting is currently being held at the Icelandic office of Eve Online developer CCP as the studio readies for a round of layoffs just months after the cancelation of the massively multiplayer game World of Darkness, a studio representative confirmed to Polygon.
As part of this restructuring, 49 employees will be laid off beginning today, we are told. CCP issued us the following statement, adding that severance packages will be offered to its employees who have been let go:
"As part of our strategy to focus on the EVE Universe, today CCP conducted a restructuring that resulted in the layoff of 49 people in our publishing organization. Though it is hard to say goodbye to our friends and family, this action concludes the process we started several months ago. CCP has provided severance packages and job placement assistance for those affected.
"Development teams and plans for EVE Online, EVE: Valkyrie, DUST 514, and 'Project Legion' are not impacted by the restructuring."
Sources close to the matter tell Polygon this is a "gigantic cut" for the Reykjavik office; however, staff at the company's other offices are affected as well. We're told this is likely the result of investor pressure, while CCP staff at the executive level remain untouched so far.
In April, the company began laying off staff following the cancellation of the long-in-development World of Darkness. As a result, 56 employees were laid off at CCP's Atlanta office.
"... To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make," CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson said at the time. "We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short. One day I hope we will make it up to you."
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine