NBA Live 15, the latest entry in EA Sports' basketball simulation franchise, will arrive Oct. 7 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, executive producer Sean O'Brien announced today. When it does, O'Brien hopes the new NBA Live will address two major shortcomings from last year's game.
"As I've said previously, we know we fell short in two major areas with NBA Live 14," O'Brien wrote on the official EA Sports website. "5-on-5 gameplay didn't have the depth and polish of an EA Sports game and our visuals just weren't up to expectations for a next-gen title. We've been laser-focused on making sure that this isn't the case with NBA Live 15 and I'm really excited with our progress in those two areas."
Digital scans of NBA players' heads combined with refined player models and new lighting technology, O'Brien said, "makes our characters look really amazing."
O'Brien said the NBA Live development team has seen "great progress with gameplay that makes the experience more realistic and, most importantly, more fun with a much better overall flow." The developer has spent time speaking with NBA coaches to better reflect how real-world teams are represented in-game, he says, and "we feel that shooting, passing and dribbling all feel much better this year."
Last year's entry, NBA Live 14, pictured above, was the first basketball simulation game that EA Sports managed to ship since NBA Live 10. The series experienced a three-year hiatus after the last-minute cancellation of NBA Elite 11 and the cancellation of NBA Live 13.
NBA Live 15 will compete with 2K Games' rival basketball sim, NBA 2K15, which is also being released Oct. 7 on PlayStation 3, PS4, Windows PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart