A two-man team is raising money to develop a Wii U controller that resembles the GameCube's controller, with some features optimized.
WaveDash, a prototype (pictured) by Chad Sachs and Ryan DeLang, is seeking $400,000 by July 11 to build, test and ship the product. While peripheral maker PDP already has plans to launch a licensed gamepad in the style of the GameCube controller, Sachs and DeLang promise several custom features in theirs.
The original, smaller right analog stick, for example, will be replaced with a full-size analog stick. It will also feature dual Z shoulder buttons, where originally the GameCube controller had one, on the right side. The analog sticks also click to serve as buttons, and it will have a larger D-pad. The WaveDash will be USB rechargeable.
Both it and PDP's controller will work directly with the Wii U, though Nintendo will be offering an adapter that allows original GameCube controllers to work with Wii U games that support the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro, the Wii U's more traditional twin-analog gamepad.
All three products hope to be out around the same time as Super Smash Bros. launches for Wii U, capitalizing on nostalgia for the reboot. Super Smash Bros. Melee was a GameCube hit, selling more than seven million copies in its lifetime.
PDP's controller will cost $24.99; a contribution of $49 or more will get backers one WaveDash, assuming the project is funded.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today