E3 kicks off bright and early tomorrow with a long and busy day of press conferences from Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Sony and Ubisoft.
But before we get the official word, let's take a look at the rumors and "leaks" that have made their way onto our radar. We've compiled a list of what's rumored to make an appearance, from the far-fetched to the fairly likely.
- A PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita bundle: A retail listing recently popped up Amazon France's website for a PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita bundle dubbed "the "Ultimate Player Edition." The retailer lists the bundle for €579.99 (about $789).
- The Last Guardian is still a thing: Hope still burns bright that The Last Guardian might one day see release. Following rumors that the game was canceled, Scott Rohde, product development head for Sony Worldwide Studios America, says it's not.
- Mario Maker announcement on its way: A game that appears to let players lay out custom Super Mario-style levels called Mario Maker may have leaked early. Photos supposedly snapped at the Los Angeles convention center this weekend show signs for the mysterious new title.
- Domains registered for two Tomb Raider titles: Square Enix appears to have registered domains for not one, but two new entries in the Tomb Raider franchise: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, which could be a sequel to Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. The company has already revealed that it's working on a sequel to 2013's Tomb Raider.
- A release date for The Last of Us Remastered for PlayStation 4: Naughty Dog game director Bruce Straley promises that there is a release date for the upcoming remaster of The Last of Us and it's not June 13.
- An official announcement for Halo: The Master Chief Collection: The bundle will supposedly include 2001's Halo: Combat Evolved, 2004's Halo 2, 2007's Halo 3 and 2012's Halo 4, and launch on Xbox One. Spin-offs titles Halo 3: ODST (2009) and Halo: Reach (2010) reportedly won't be included.
- Assassin's Creed Unity sporting four shiny new assassins: Posters spotted around the convention center suggest that Ubisoft's next entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise will include four new assassins for a four-player co-op narrative experience. It's also been reported that there are not one, but two new Assassin's Creed games being developed, the second of which is reportedly codenamed Comet.
- Near-field communication technology in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: Stephan Bole, the managing director of Nintendo France, said last month that NFC will be a part of the Wii U version of the upcoming Smash Bros. game, and that E3 will offer an opportunity to show off that technology. This could also be related to the Nintendo Figurine Platform, the Skylanders- and Disney Infinity-like line of figures that would work with multiple Nintendo titles. NFC is the close-range wireless tech that makes Skylanders possible.
- From Software's Project Beast: Gameplay footage that supposedly comes from a follow-up to Demon's Souls appeared online last month. Project Beast is said to be a PS4 exclusive that is in development at From Software and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio, the two studios that collaborated on the original Demon's Souls.
- A Grand Theft Auto 5 port for the new consoles: Strauss Zelnick, CEO of Rockstar Games parent company Take-Two Interactive, said during an investor call last month that Rockstar is working on a PS4/Xbox One project that will be released before April 2015. It's possible that the game in question is a port of the studio's most recent title, last September's GTA 5.
We'll find out how much of that was accurate between now and when the E3 show floor opens on Tuesday afternoon. Check out all our coverage of tomorrow's press conferences to see what gets announced!
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Tearaway started life as a fleshy finger game
- Longtime Castlevania producer leaves Konami
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.