After nearly 12 hours straight of championship Dota 2, day one of The International's Phase Two ended with 36 games played and 16 teams ready to roll into day two.
Dota 2 developer and The International organizer Valve is using a bracket system to determine seeding for the so-called "Main Event" to be held next Friday. July 18 through Monday July 21. The 16 teams will continue to play approximately four to five games each, every day through Saturday. Once Saturday's matches concludes, the two winningest teams will automatically advance to the main event's upper bracket, while the following eight best teams will play an additional bracket this coming Sunday and Monday. The bottom six teams after Phase Two concludes will be eliminated from the tournament.
As each team will play a total of 15 games each before phase two standings are finalized, the best advance, and the bottom six are eliminated, little today was decided. But there were some surprises — especially the breakout performance for wild-card seeded Team Liquid, who are in a four way tie for second place with some of the best Dota 2 teams from around the world. Meanwhile, Mousesports, Alliance, Empire and LGD secured only one victory in the first day of phase two; Arrow Gaming was shut out completely.
Standings after day one of The International can be found below. You can find full match breakdowns and archived broadcasts of each match at The International's official site.
1. Cloud 9 (4-1)
2. iG (3-1)
2. ViCi (3-1)
2. Na'Vi (3-1)
2. Na'Vi.US (3-1)
2. Liquid (3-1)
7. Newbee (3-2)
7. Evil Geniuses (3-2)
7. Fnatic (3-2)
10. Titan (2-2)
11. Team DK (2-3)
12. Empire (1-3)
12. Mousesports (1-3)
14. Alliance (1-4)
14. LGD (1-4)
16. Arrow (0-5)
You can read more about Dota 2 on Polygon.
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- In the face of recent wins, Nintendo's lack of online functions is no longer forgivable
- This is the most accurate Pokémon trailer you'll ever watch
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?