Final Fantasy Explorers, a new entry in the long-running Final Fantasy series, is coming to Nintendo 3DS in Japan this winter, Nintendo announced during today's Nintendo Direct conference.
In Final Fantasy Explorers, up to four players can select a job class, basically a unique combat style, and set out together exploring the in-game world and completing quests. Players will run up against Summons, powerful creatures that have made appearances in various Final Fantasy games spanning the franchise.
The game will allow for connectivity through local wireless for ad-hoc multiplayer, or online via Wi-Fi connection for faraway friends. Final Fantasy Explorers can also be played in single-player mode.
Currently, developer Square Enix has announced four possible job classes for players to choose from: Black Mage, White Mage, Monk and Knight. The former two use magic - one dark magic, one healing magic - while the latter two use physical attacks. Monks fight with bare hands, while Knights use swords and shields.
There's no word on a North American release as of yet. Polygon has reached out to Nintendo for details and will update when more information is available.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???