A new installment in the Fieldrunners series, a tower defense franchise from Cambridge, Mass. developer Subatomic Studios, is in the works as part of a publishing initiative with German developer Flaregames, according to a recent joint press release from the two companies.
In an interview with PocketGamer.biz, Flaregames CEO Klaas Kersting explained that the two studios would co-develop a free-to-play Fieldrunners title for release sometime in 2015. Despite the new business model for the series, Kersting said the teams would "stay true to the brand and help create a fun game that both hardcore fans of the two original games, as well as new players, will love."
The initiative is a result of Flaregames' acquisition of $12.2 million in funding, allowing them to expand beyond the in-house development of games like Royal Revolt 2 and Throne Wars. Subatomic Studios is the first developer Flaregames has elected to partner with as part of the publishing effort, and represents the "boutique approach" the company is taking on, Kersting said.
"We're very selective about the games we want to publish," Kersting told PocketGamer.biz. "We're looking for studios with a good track record who have proven to understand mobile gaming. We do not presume to know everything but we are good with mid-core games, with strategy games, with RTSs and RPGs."
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'