Tekken 7, the first numbered new game released in the series since 2007, was unveiled this evening during the culmination of the Evolution Championship Series fighting game tournament in Las Vegas.
Bandai Namco said that Tekken 7 will be powered by Unreal Engine 4. While the company did not announce a release date or what platforms the fighting game will be coming to, the game's debut trailer indicates an arcade release.
"The power and flexibility means that we can focus our efforts on making Tekken 7 the best possible game without worrying about spending time creating a stand-alone graphic engine," said Katsuhiro Harada, Tekken series executive producer/game director at Bandai Namco, in a prepared statement. "With Unreal Engine 4, we could rapidly achieve visual quality expected on next-gen platform and go beyond it. Not only is Unreal Engine 4 powerful and easy to use, but it allows us to immediately bring Tekken 7 to any platform we desire."
Harada and his team have been working with Epic Games' engine group in Japan to create the game, according to the press release.
"The Tekken franchise is beloved and we couldn't be more excited to be working with the talented team at Bandai Namco," Taka Kawasaki, studio head at Epic Games Japan, said in a prepared statement. "This marriage is perfect — the most powerful engine in gaming along with one of the most enduring brands in fighting games. We have no doubt that these forces coming together will yield fantastic results."
The game was unveiled on the final day of Evo 2014 with a sizzle trailer that features series stalwarts Kazuya and Heihachi. The trailer also promises more details about Tekken 7 at Bandai Namco's fighting game panel at Comic-Con in San Diego on July 25.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these Goldeneye proximity mines
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart