If finding interesting things to write about on a Sunday afternoon sounds like an exciting adventure, then perhaps you might consider Game Journalism Simulator, currently under development by the writer Jason Evangelho.
Conceived somewhat as a joke (like the opening paragraph to this article), Game Journalism Simulator has a serious purpose. Evangelho told Polygon he wants to use it to better understand games development while giving gamers a fun peek at the job.
Evangelho first got the idea for the game after seeing Polygon News Editor Brian Crecente livestream the creation of this article about the Wii U, reported from E3. The flurry of recent simulator titles — goats, rocks, etc.— led to the joke idea.
Then Evangelho considered the rather serious book by Dan Amrich, "Critical Path: How to Review Video Games for a Living." Evangelho noted that Amrich suggests game critics attempt some type of game development, just to understand the process and be better equipped to judge a game's components. That's what he's doing here.
"The game itself tasks players with navigating the nightmarish and rewarding waters of video game journalism by progressing from a lowly undiscovered blogger to an established full-time game journalist," Evangelho told Polygon.
Evangelho has reached out to other writers, registered a trademark for the game and currently is "neck deep in our design document.
"We want it to be a genuinely fun game," he told Siliconera, "which both empowers players and makes them laugh their asses off."
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart