The beta, which is due to start at the end of this week, will include four story chapters, four competitive multiplayer maps, a "huge world to explore with your own unique Guardian," the letter reads.
PS3 and PS4 owners with beta access will be able to start playing at 1 p.m. ET on July 17, and they'll be able to keep going until the end of the beta period, except for a two-day maintenance window - Destiny developer Bungie will take the beta offline from July 21-22. The studio will open the beta up again on July 23, when it will go live at 1 p.m. ET on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and continue on PS3 and PS4.
For more on Bungie's post-Halo universe, be sure to read our E3 2014 in-depth coverage, which includes interviews with Destiny's developers.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode screens go from brutal to kawaii
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders