The beta, which is due to start at the end of this week, will include four story chapters, four competitive multiplayer maps, a "huge world to explore with your own unique Guardian," the letter reads.
PS3 and PS4 owners with beta access will be able to start playing at 1 p.m. ET on July 17, and they'll be able to keep going until the end of the beta period, except for a two-day maintenance window - Destiny developer Bungie will take the beta offline from July 21-22. The studio will open the beta up again on July 23, when it will go live at 1 p.m. ET on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and continue on PS3 and PS4.
For more on Bungie's post-Halo universe, be sure to read our E3 2014 in-depth coverage, which includes interviews with Destiny's developers.
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free
- Feature to track games?
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?