League of Legends players won't be able to use third-party skins on their characters as part of Riot's crackdown on scammers, community coordinator Ben "Riot Draggles" Forbes announced via the game's forums.
According to Forbes, the response is a reaction to an increase in fraudulent activity in which sites will promise limited edition skins, acquire codes illegitimately and take advantage of players.
"They charge excessive prices (we found one skin for over $1,000!) and sometimes take payment and never provide the content," Forbes wrote. "You can't predict the outcome, and no purchase is ever guaranteed regardless of what the seller says. To make matters worse these services typically use bots. Bots are lame to play with and chew up additional server bandwidth, negatively impacting everyone."
Riot is working with payment processors to prevent payments from being processed to begin with. All previously issued skin codes will be deactivated today as well, though players who acquired their skins legitimately can send proof of ownership to Player Support.
Riot will not remove content or skins that were redeemed prior to the announcement. Players won't be able to claim codes after July 23 "for any reason."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Why I'm in love with this sweet game about a little girl in Alaska
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- LOVE PROBLEM SOLUTION BABA JI +91-8437760034
- MAHA VASHIKARAN SPECIALIST BABA JI +91-8437760034
- GET YOUR LOST LOVE BACK BY BLACK MAGIC +91-8437760034
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders