Star Citizen, developer Cloud Imperium's spaceflight simulator, has collected more than $48 million from crowdfunding, less than a month after it crossed the $47 million threshold, according to a post from creator Chris Roberts.
Roberts credited sales of the $15 Star Citizen Dog Tag and the $80 Aegis Gladius for achieving the milestone, which will allow the developers to create a Retaliator commercial. As of this writing, total funds received stand at $48,120,678.
The game's creator also announced the $50 million stretch goal.
"As we promised last time, we're going to return to our tradition of stretch goals that improve the core game," Roberts wrote. "The ongoing funding keeps the project running on the scale it is today … but we're also eager to find ways to improve what we've already planned. We've come up with one for the $50 million goal that we think will truly improve the immersion, and help make Star Citizen a living, breathing world:
"Alien Languages - Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen's three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi'An and the Banu. No universal translators, no garbled animal noises: Star Citizen's aliens will be speaking their own authentic languages!"
Last week, Roberts outlined a recent, problematic release for the Windows PC game. In his most recent update, Roberts said that developers are "hard at work on patch 12.5, hunting down the bugs responsible for the latency and rubber-banding currently affecting Arena Commander."
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- That bucket came from the moon: Yep, Destiny took the ice bucket challenge
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League