Star Citizen, developer Cloud Imperium's spaceflight simulator, has collected more than $48 million from crowdfunding, less than a month after it crossed the $47 million threshold, according to a post from creator Chris Roberts.
Roberts credited sales of the $15 Star Citizen Dog Tag and the $80 Aegis Gladius for achieving the milestone, which will allow the developers to create a Retaliator commercial. As of this writing, total funds received stand at $48,120,678.
The game's creator also announced the $50 million stretch goal.
"As we promised last time, we're going to return to our tradition of stretch goals that improve the core game," Roberts wrote. "The ongoing funding keeps the project running on the scale it is today … but we're also eager to find ways to improve what we've already planned. We've come up with one for the $50 million goal that we think will truly improve the immersion, and help make Star Citizen a living, breathing world:
"Alien Languages - Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen's three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi'An and the Banu. No universal translators, no garbled animal noises: Star Citizen's aliens will be speaking their own authentic languages!"
Last week, Roberts outlined a recent, problematic release for the Windows PC game. In his most recent update, Roberts said that developers are "hard at work on patch 12.5, hunting down the bugs responsible for the latency and rubber-banding currently affecting Arena Commander."
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders