If you're one of a handful of eBay sellers attempting to resell your Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2 pre-orders through the auction website at a higher price, chances are Oculus has already brought the banhammer down on you.
Following its measures to stop resale of the Oculus Rift in China, Oculus has turned its attentions to eBay, where a handful of sellers are offering the Dev Kit 2 at prices inflated from its original $350 price tag. One Oculus forum user pointed out eBay sellers listing Oculus Rifts for £499, $799 and $899. One listing was asking for as much as $5,000.
Oculus community manager Andres Hernandez took to the forums to assure buyers that the company will not tolerate resale of pre-orders.
"We found this guy's order and cancelled it. We don't allow resale of the development kit," he wrote. "We also don't provide warranty on second-hand sales, so if you buy on eBay you are on your own."
"Orders, as in plural," added customer service lead Kevin Crawford. "All gone."
Oculus plans to ship 10,000 units of the second dev kit model this month.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Why Shadowgate's developers want you dead
- Strike Suit Zero, Dishonored and more available free on Xbox Live Gold in August
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta