If you're one of a handful of eBay sellers attempting to resell your Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2 pre-orders through the auction website at a higher price, chances are Oculus has already brought the banhammer down on you.
Following its measures to stop resale of the Oculus Rift in China, Oculus has turned its attentions to eBay, where a handful of sellers are offering the Dev Kit 2 at prices inflated from its original $350 price tag. One Oculus forum user pointed out eBay sellers listing Oculus Rifts for £499, $799 and $899. One listing was asking for as much as $5,000.
Oculus community manager Andres Hernandez took to the forums to assure buyers that the company will not tolerate resale of pre-orders.
"We found this guy's order and cancelled it. We don't allow resale of the development kit," he wrote. "We also don't provide warranty on second-hand sales, so if you buy on eBay you are on your own."
"Orders, as in plural," added customer service lead Kevin Crawford. "All gone."
Oculus plans to ship 10,000 units of the second dev kit model this month.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC