Executives of Vivendi discussed firing Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick last May in emails about the sale of Vivendi's stake back to Activision Blizzard, according to a Bloomberg report.
The translated emails are part of a June court filing that alleges Kotick threatened to quit if directors didn't allow him to lead a group that helped buy out most of Vivendi's stock for $8.2 billion.
"Activision's board of directors supports the ongoing leadership of the company by Bobby Kotick and Brian Kelly, who are the most effective executives in the interactive entertainment industry," company spokeswoman Maryanne Lataif told Polygon via email. "The recent transaction restructuring the company's ownership has received widespread market support."
Activision shareholder Anthony Pacchia and other shareholders allege in the suit that Kotick and his group violated their duties to shareholders by "approving a self-dealing and unfair transaction."
In emails included in the suit, Vivendi's then chief financial officer and Activision chairman Philippe Capron offered to fire Kotick "happily. Tomorrow if you want." Vivendi general counsel Frederic Crepin wrote that he thought Kotick was betting that the company wouldn't "dare" let him go. And Richard Sarnoff, one of Activision's independent directors, said he would help if Vivendi decided to fire Kotick.
Kotick's $8.2 billion deal ended up going through leaving him in control of the company once more. A judge in Delaware ruled last month that Kotick and Activision chairman Brian Kelly must face the claims.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- CounterSpy hits PlayStation platforms on August 19
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?