Polygon's Culture section deals with the intersection of gaming, its audience and pop culture as a whole. This is where we'll put non-gaming stories we think are worth talking about.
Captain America is weak, and this fall Steve Rogers will tap his buddy Sam Wilson — better known as Falcon — to become the first black Captain America, Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada revealed yesterday on The Colbert Report.
According to a post by Marvel's Paul Montgomery this week, the new Cap's adventures will begin in All-New Captain America #1, from Rick Remender and Stuart Immonen.
"This is it," said Remender. "This is the fireworks factory we're arriving at, and now everything's going to blow up and be very pretty and exciting to look at. It leads into an evolution of Steve Rogers' character that I had very early when I was given the job. I think that it's important with these stories to do things that are natural and make sense and have an inherent logic to the universe, but are also constantly shifting and exciting, keeping the drama high. In order to do that it really comes down to creating new dynamics.
"I've been having a lot of fun writing Sam. It's a completely different attitude. The fact that he's not a soldier shifts things up a bit. Sam's not going to be Steve. Steve can be very rigid. That can be kind of joyless at times, whereas Sam is absolutely not that."
Rogers and Wilson teamed up in their classic incarnations for this year's Captain America: The Winter Solider move. Earlier this week, Whoopi Goldberg revealed on The View that a woman will become the new Thor.
For more on Cap's video game incarnations, be sure to read our hands-on impressions of the next Disney Infinity from E3 2014.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Heroes of the Storm's newest character plucked from World of Warcraft's comic
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22