In response to a question about when they'll begin shooting, Gordon said, "I think very early next year. That's the plan."
"That's like tomorrow, essentially, because the prep is so complicated for the movie."
Though filming is set to start rather soon, Gordon said that a search to play lead character Nathan Drake is still ongoing.
"I want it to be a great actor," he said. "That's number one, and then if it's someone who has an actual jaw, that's even better. The game is so well done that you need it to live up to that. There's no way we'd do the inverse of that where it's somebody famous who can't [act]."
Mark Wahlberg was previously tapped to play the quick-witted adventurer, back when David O. Russell was set to direct. Neil Burger was also previously slated to direct the unnamed movie.
Gordon is a director, producer and screenwriter whose credits include Horrible Bosses, Identity Thief and The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 review: existential crisis
- The New Yorker's archives are free - here's a guide to some of its best gaming stories
- Women in the US game industry made 14 percent less than men in 2013, survey says
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA