In response to a question about when they'll begin shooting, Gordon said, "I think very early next year. That's the plan."
"That's like tomorrow, essentially, because the prep is so complicated for the movie."
Though filming is set to start rather soon, Gordon said that a search to play lead character Nathan Drake is still ongoing.
"I want it to be a great actor," he said. "That's number one, and then if it's someone who has an actual jaw, that's even better. The game is so well done that you need it to live up to that. There's no way we'd do the inverse of that where it's somebody famous who can't [act]."
Mark Wahlberg was previously tapped to play the quick-witted adventurer, back when David O. Russell was set to direct. Neil Burger was also previously slated to direct the unnamed movie.
Gordon is a director, producer and screenwriter whose credits include Horrible Bosses, Identity Thief and The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Shadowrun Returns gets a Director's Cut of its expansion this September
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible