The voice actor behind Grand Theft Auto 5's Lamar Davis is starring in a new live-action comedy series, Black Jesus, on Adult Swim, the network announced today.
Gerald "Slink" Johnson plays the role of the eponymous prophet in Black Jesus. The show is set in present-day Compton, California, with Black Jesus looking to "spread love and kindness throughout the neighborhood with the help of his small but loyal group of downtrodden followers," according to a press release. Black Jesus, which is executive-produced by The Boondocks creator Aaron McGruder, also features Charlie Murphy (The Chappelle Show), John Witherspoon (Friday) and Kali Hawk (New Girl).
In Grand Theft Auto 5, Johnson voiced Lamar Davis, the gullible and incorrigible but ultimately lovable best friend of Franklin Clinton, one of the game's three protagonists. You may be interested in this supercut of Lamar's best lines. Grand Theft Auto 5 was released last September on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and is scheduled to be available this fall on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One.
Ten episodes of Black Jesus have been produced. The half-hour series will premiere at 11 p.m. ET on Aug. 7. For a first look, check out the trailer above.
- Sony and Microsoft are giving you games, and GameStop isn't happy
- Walmart's Cyber Monday sale includes a great PS4 bundle and mysterious 3DS XL sale
- Xbox One early adopters get Limbo for free, says message
- Far Cry 4 review: such great heights
- Evolve's DLC maps will be free, studio promises
- Weekend at Polygon's: Off-Topic: Ermagerd Smarsh! (Sat\Sun 22-23Nov)
- Pokémon Discussions - Trumpets in the Distance
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, no. 2: Shocking Truth!
- Polygon Daily Off Topic: Scrawl Penguin (Friday, Nov. 21)
- Is It Possible To Kill Review Scores?
- Which PS4 Games Are Must Buys Right Now in the Mature Genre?
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (November)
- No Man's Sky to be shown at PlayStation Experience in Las Vegas
- The latest update on the cul- I mean Gamergate