Actress Lindsay Lohan has reportedly made good on threats to sue the developer of Grand Theft Auto 5 over claims that her likeness is used in the game.
The Associated Press reports that Lohan's legal team filed a lawsuit in a Manhattan court that alleges Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar Games based the character Lacey Jonas on the actress, who has starred in Herbie Fully Loaded and The Canyons.
The developer "incorporated her image, likeness, clothing, outfits, [Lohan's] clothing line products, ensemble in the form of hats, hair style, sunglasses" and the jean shorts worn by Lohan without her permission, according to the complaint.
Here's Lacey Jonas as she appears in-game.
The suit also alleges that the in-game hotel Gentry Manor, based on West Hollywood hotel Chateau Marmont, is associated with Lohan, as she formerly resided there.
In Grand Theft Auto 5, players can encounter Lacey Jonas in a mission in which they must escort her to escape the paparazzi. Her in-game dialogue portrays her as a famous Vinewood actress with an eating disorder.
Polygon has reached out to Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive for further details.
GTA 5 was released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on Sept. 17, 2013. The game will come to PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One later this year.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Games with great Sound Design
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- On Patreon support
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26