This news comes just a week after EA's initial plans to offer a free digital version of this Sims collection to all users who previously purchased The Sims 2, as the company will no longer offer content updates for the sequel and its expansions. EA changed this policy, however, as not everybody who purchased the original title was able to redeem their copy of the Ultimate Edition.
Now the game is available for all current and future Origin account holders. If you don't already have an account, you can sign up for one online and still download the release. It's a limited time offer, however, that's set to expire on July 31.
The Ultimate Collection upgrade will include the main game alongside all of the expansions that have been released since the launch of The Sims 2 in 2004. Over the past 10 years, a total of eight expansions have launched, including University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time and Apartment Life. The upgrade will also include all of the "Stuff" packs that have been released in that time, which feature additional items, furniture and clothing.
For details on how to get the game, take a look at the step-by-step process on EA's official website.
- The hacker war that may decide whether console gamers can play online Christmas Day (update)
- Polygon's Games of the Year 2014 #7: Far Cry 4
- The Interview is the most disappointing movie of 2014
- PSN, Xbox Live experiencing some login issues, hackers claim responsibility (update)
- Destiny player recounts the exciting adventures of Billy the Thrall
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2463 (Thursday, Dec. 25)
- Toradora Christmas Club
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No 5- Terror and Mystery in the Western Frontier
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (Nov - Dec)
- Polygon Daily: Off-Topic: T'was the Eve Before Christmas ( Wed 24/12 )
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- Forbes: You Don't Have To Kill Prostitutes In 'GTA V'
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Two Day Warning (Tuesday, Dec. 23)