The Reading Rainbow Kickstarter campaign has concluded with $5.4 million in contributions and now sits at fifth place in the list of the top-grossing Kickstarters of all time.
Reading Rainbow host LeVar Burton launched a $1 million Kickstarter campaign in May to resurrect the education program to the web and schools. The campaign's goal was met within 11 hours and, at its conclusion, the campaign has raised more than $5.4 million from nearly 106,000 backers.
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane plans to match every dollar contributed above the $4 million mark, up to a maximum of $1 million, which brings the total amount raised to $6.4 million. As it has passed the $5 million stretch goal, the new Reading Rainbow will be released as an app on Android, set-top boxes and gaming consoles, including Ouya.
Four other Kickstarter projects contributed in the final days, with Ouya creating a limited-edition autographed "Butterfly-in-the-Sky Blue" blue console as a new reward tier. The company will also contribute a free Ouya to each of the $5,000 Adopt a School reward packages. Three of the four highest-grossing Kickstarter campaigns the Pebble Smartwatch, the Pono Music audio player and the film Veronica Mars also contributed their own Reading Rainbow Kickstarter-exclusive limited-edition rewards.
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- Nintendo's isolationism means it gets the hard stuff right, but the boring stuff wrong
- Destiny's beta comparison video: PS4 versus Xbox One
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?