The Reading Rainbow Kickstarter campaign has concluded with $5.4 million in contributions and now sits at fifth place in the list of the top-grossing Kickstarters of all time.
Reading Rainbow host LeVar Burton launched a $1 million Kickstarter campaign in May to resurrect the education program to the web and schools. The campaign's goal was met within 11 hours and, at its conclusion, the campaign has raised more than $5.4 million from nearly 106,000 backers.
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane plans to match every dollar contributed above the $4 million mark, up to a maximum of $1 million, which brings the total amount raised to $6.4 million. As it has passed the $5 million stretch goal, the new Reading Rainbow will be released as an app on Android, set-top boxes and gaming consoles, including Ouya.
Four other Kickstarter projects contributed in the final days, with Ouya creating a limited-edition autographed "Butterfly-in-the-Sky Blue" blue console as a new reward tier. The company will also contribute a free Ouya to each of the $5,000 Adopt a School reward packages. Three of the four highest-grossing Kickstarter campaigns the Pebble Smartwatch, the Pono Music audio player and the film Veronica Mars also contributed their own Reading Rainbow Kickstarter-exclusive limited-edition rewards.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Minecon is officially off this year; looks to return in 2015
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League