Perfect World Entertainment, in partnership with City of Heroes and Star Trek Online developer Cryptic Studios, is bringing its massively multiplayer online role-playing game Neverwinter to Xbox One next year, the company announced today.
The game will launch in the first half of 2015 for North America and Europe and be free-to-play with an Xbox Live Gold membership. The game will also hit the Xbox One in China when it launches later this year under the title Neverwinter Online.
Neverwinter is set in the world of Wizards of the Coast's Dungeons and Dragons franchise, where players will create a character and explore the Forgotten Realms. The game will get its fourth module, or expansion, on Aug. 14 — Tyranny of Dragons. Neverwinter will be Cryptic and Perfect World's first free-to-play title to launch on both PC and consoles.
"Neverwinter is our premier title to bring to console players," said Perfect World Entertainment CEO Alan Chen in a press statement. "Consoles are a perfect fit for action-oriented MMORPGs like Neverwinter, and we are thrilled to be one of the first publishers to bring premium free-to-play titles to leading next-gen platforms. Being able to bring Neverwinter to the Xbox One is a critical achievement for Perfect World. It is our first step taking our games beyond the PC market."
For a closer look at Neverwinter, check out our review.
- 2014 in review: Polygon's best feature stories
- Remembering Ralph Baer, the inventor of home video games
- Screwup means Assassin's Creed Unity's patch is the 40GB full game on Xbox One
- 2014 in review: Dota 2 and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad year
- Skip a trip to jail and punch this virtual Monet painting instead
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Bad News Bearer (Wednesday, Dec. 17)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4 - Mercs and White Collars
- Forbes: You Don't Have To Kill Prostitutes In 'GTA V'
- The Besties need your help in picking the best game of the year!
- The Ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition (!Spoilers obviously!)
- Getting the best picture out of retro game consoles
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (Nov - Dec)
- The Current Trend Of Criticism Towards Gaming
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Hard Reset (Tuesday, Dec. 16)
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (December 2014)